3.06.2008

Alias: Muted (2003)

::: I'll start off by saying that my favorite producer of instrumental hip hop music would have to be Alias of Anticon. Everything that he creates is amazing, but I'll give my two cents on his 2003 album Muted. I first came across Alias when I heard the Anticon Label Sampler a few years back and was blown away by his tracks "Sixes Last" and "Unseen Sights" featuring Markus Acher of The Notwist. I would describe his music as a mixture of ambient electronic and distorted, hard-hitting drum beats, but that is really oversimplifying it. Muted is one of those albums that when you start listening you almost have to play it all the way through because it is so diverse and compelling. The instrumentation is at times airy and beautiful, and others dark and haunting, all composed by Alias on his impressive collection of studio equipment. But this harmony is offset in many cases by his MPC constructed drum beats that are always dope and always distinct. The beats are coated with distortion, varying between rapid hi hats and sharp snare hits, always with a heavy bass line. All of these elements combine to form a dark and beautiful masterpiece of instrumental hip hop that heads and beat enthusiasts are sure to enjoy. If you are a fan of Anticon, or just instrumental hip hop in general, you have to get this album. Muted is one of the dopest releases I have heard in a long, long time. And if you like this album, definitely check out all of his other albums, as they are equally enthralling.

Tracklist

No comments: