4.14.2008

Cold Duck Complex: Figureheads (2003)

::: I had the pleasure of first hearing this band on a free live session that they released from a college campus, and I have yet to find a band that resembles them in any form. Cold Duck Complex is one part hip hop and three parts jazz in an incredible combination that is as unique as it is uplifting. The group consists of rapper/vocalist Platypus Complex and jazz/groove band the Cold Duck Trio, who mesh to form the Cold Duck Complex. Platypus has a flow that's all his own, but at times reminds me of a less angry version of Zach De La Rocha of Rage Against the Machine. He spits intelligent and socially/politically conscious lyrics, which can be fully appreciated after several listens. The band incorporates the element of live jazz with hip hop, which is upbeat or mellow depending on the intended feel of the track. This is one band that I would kill to see live, but I don't see them coming to my neck of the woods any time soon. Though they are best suited for a live atmosphere, their sound translates well to recording on Figureheads. A few tracks that really stand out to me are Son of a Snapper, Upstream, Wake Up and Lucky Me. If you can get your hands on a copy of this album, you have to buy it. It is a rare blend of intelligence, creativity, and individuality.

No comments: