6.09.2008

WHY?: Elephant Eyelash (2005)

::: Where do I begin when trying to explain the style of this Anticon mainstay? It's not very often that an artist's name truly exemplifies the sounds that is created. WHY? (real name Yoni Wolf) is somewhere between hip hop, pop, and folk music, but never leans toward any genre in particular. He is a singer, though his voice is not what most would call exceptional, but it gives him a distinct and endearing musical presence. His first release Oaklandazulasylum was one of chaotic yet mellow sounds, somewhat similar to his collaborations on the cLOUDDEAD projects. But with Elephant Eyelash, the sound became less harsh and unpredictable with the incorporation and accompaniment of a full band. Much of the album comes across as folk or pop, with slight influences of hip hop scattered throughout. Yoni frequently displays his unothodox hip hop delivery along with his unconventional vocal melodies. It is safe to say that Yoni Wolf and WHY? are truly one of a kind. If you are into previous releases from Anticon (i.e. cLOUDDEAD, Themselves, Restiform Bodies, etc.), you will probably enjoy Elephant Eyelash. His new album Alopecia is also a great record, that builds upon the style that Elephant Eyelash established and pushes it further.

MySpace Music

Anticon Records

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way. I chill at home a lot. Part of that is because I'm looking for an additional part time job besides hair stylin'.

I was going to ask if you if you'd like to write a column for my newsletter project. It's just volunteer stuff from local kids and hip hop fans. Reviews would be great. If you'd like a certain one published for my first issue, send it my way. Credit goes all to you!

Next first fridays we should check out the Soul Providers at the 18th street block party. You down?
Hip Hop and hot wings at the peanut you'd enjoy. I can't go until I'm 21 unfortunately. Same with Miles Bonny and Beatbroker at the Spitfire doing THE SAUCE on fridays.
Mac Lethal is doing a show on July 25th that is 18+ I know. I'm def. gonna be there. It's at the Beaumont.

Take care of yourself, give me a holla soon!

Peace.

Anonymous said...

p.s. I didn't see you at WHY? when the show was in Lawrence. What's the deal? haha.

Lucy is HipHop said...

i love what you're doin on here. keep doin yo thang!
love, your favorite lil sis.