2.26.2008

Girl Talk: Night Ripper (2006)

::: Take every pop, rap, rock, and dance song you've heard in the last 20-30 years, mash them together, and what do you get? Obviously, Night Ripper by Pittsburgh, PA native Girl Talk. This is one of the best party CDs that I have heard in a long time. The album is a chaotic and glitchy hodgepodge of popular music from decades past, along with club rap tunes of more recent years. It is unbelievable to me how flawlessly Girl Talk combines all of the genres into something that actually works. For example, he successfully adapts a verse from "Juicy" by Notorious B.I.G. to the renowned piano of Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." The album is so full of these clever and perfect mishmashes that it would take forever for me to try to recount all of them. But I can almost guarantee that anyone who hears Night Ripper will undoubtedly be impressed by his skill and choice in songs. It is pop/dance/rock/rap/crunk at its finest.

No comments: