2.25.2008

Josh Martinez: Midriff Music (2005)

::: I guess I must be on a Canadian kick these days, because after I wrote my previous post about Classified, I came across another talented artist from up north named Josh Martinez. I really wish I would have heard of this guy earlier, because his album Midriff Music is really an excellent CD. It is one of those albums that just puts you in an upbeat and positive state of mind, like a carefree summer day. He has a distinct, almost raspy voice that works great with his flow style, which is a mixture of both rapping and singing. It is refreshing to hear someone bring a distinguishing style to the mic and combine it with catchy crooning. His subject matter is diverse, with his own views and interpretations on personal life and life in general articulated effortlessly over the boom bap percussion. All of the beats are done by a producer named Samix, who does an awesome job creating the backdrop for Midriff Music. His style is reminiscent of ANT of Atmosphere, and is highlighted on a couple of instrumental tracks throughout the album. The combination of Josh Martinez and Samix makes for a great album that is sure to put any listener in a cheerful and positive mood. Highly recommended.

Myspace Page

No comments: